Making a Gift of Stock to Montgomery Hospice
Making a gift of stock or appreciated securities directly to Montgomery Hospice offers advantages to you. First, you will receive the satisfaction of knowing that you have made an investment in Montgomery Hospice, an organization that provides compassionate care and support to those who are approaching the end of life. Secondly, you will receive a charitable gift deduction and may also receive capital gains relief.
If you have owned stock for a period of time that has seen a lot of growth and you wish to sell it, you will have to pay capital gains taxes on the difference between the purchase price and selling price. Donating the stock directly to Montgomery Hospice will provide you with a tax deduction based on the fair market value of the security (an average of the high and low price of the stock on the day it is donated). Making a direct donation of the stock also saves you the capital gains tax you would have incurred by selling it yourself.
If you have owned stock for at least one year, here is the procedure for making a gift of the stock to Montgomery Hospice:
DTC Automated Stock Transfer Instructions
- Give your broker the following information:
- The financial name: Oppenheimer & Co
- The DTC number: 0571
- Montgomery Hospice Account Number: G78-1384396
- Instruct your broker to contact Christine Fields, Donor Relations Associate, in Montgomery Hospice’s Philanthropy Office at (301) 921-4400 to alert her of the gift’s transfer.
- Have your broker advise Montgomery Hospice where the gift is to be assigned or of any special instructions. Or you may also call the Philanthropy Office to advise where the gift should be designated (i.e. to a specific fund or in memory/honor of a loved one).
Your gift to Montgomery Hospice is a powerful vote of confidence in our organization, and it will truly make a difference in the lives of our patients and their families. We gratefully thank you!