Montgomery Hospice offers specialized training to build skills in cross-cultural, end-of-life care.
Our training is highly regarded by national hospice agencies and by professionals everywhere who work with volunteers.
Basic instruction totals 24 hours and teaches skills that help volunteers improve the quality of life of patients and families.
Advanced training and coaching is available for volunteers who want to deepen their understanding and participation. Many volunteers say what they learn in hospice enriches their personal and professional lives.
Skills that training develops include:
- Communication: Actively listening for conversational cues and helping people to find solutions that fit their own values and beliefs
- Understanding Grief: Recognizing and honoring the various ways cope with loss
- Supporting Caregivers: Being fully present and helpful to people closest to the patient
- Safety: Protecting patients and caregivers from accidents and infections
- Spirituality: Supporting patients and families who are coping with profound questions about living and dying
- Confidentiality: Safeguarding patient and family privacy
- Self-Care: Setting boundaries and relieving emotional stress